Artiste of the Yesteryears: Akham Lakshmi Devi
Name: Akham Lakshmi Devi
Father: (Late) Pukhrambam Kunjakishore Singh
Mother: Pukhrambam Ekasini Devi
Date of birth: 1st May 1952
- She has performed in many places in India and abroad. As a member of a cultural troupe sponsored by ICCR, her solo performance especially in Lasya of Manipur dance has been widely acclaimed.
- She is the only dancer selected nine times for the Classical solo Dance Festival organized by the Manipur State Kala Akademi from 1985 to 1991, 1991, and 1997.
- She participated and worked as a dance artiste of the award-winning Manipuri Film Documentary ‘Meetei Poong’ directed by renowned filmmaker and composer Aribam Syam Sharma.
- She acted as ‘Sangai’ in the film ‘Sangai’ produced by Sangeet Natak Akademi and won many awards at the Fifth International Festival (USA).
- She participated in the International Folk-Lore Festival and Opening Ceremony of Asian Games, Seoul, 1986 as well as in the 5th International Theatre Festival London, 1989.
Awards and Honours
For her immense contributions and propagation of Manipuri dance, she has been given recognitions and conferred many awards at both the state and national levels:
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Award (Dance), 2018.
- Manipur State Kala Akademi Award in Classical Manipuri Dance, 2010.
- Nritya Bhusan by Manipuri Sahitya Parishad, 2014.
- Awarded ‘TOP’ Grade Classical Manipur Dance DDK Delhi 2012, Central Dance Audition Board.
- Recognised as a panel Artiste of ICCR, New Delhi, India, and EZCC, Calcutta, India.